With time, age affects all parts of the body, including your hard-working feet! There are many signs of aging to be aware of. With special care at home and from a foot doctor around Chicago, you may be able to stave these effects off for additional years.
How Do Feet Change With Age?
- Shoe size. With years of pressure and loosening tendons and ligaments, most people’s arches will begin to sink. This causes the foot to spread out and ‘grow’ in size.
- Toe position. Some people will notice that their toes begin to tilt upwards or shift to the left or right. This may make picking out shoes a little more difficult.
- Joint stiffness. Over many years, your joints may begin to stiffen and become uncomfortable to bend. Lots of people experience arthritis in their feet as well.
- Stability issues. All of the above changes to the shape, stability, and size of a person’s feet can lead to less stability when walking, running, or climbing stairs.
- Toenail alignment, thickness, and color. Changes to the appearance of your toenails is natural with time; if any of these changes happen suddenly, it’s important to see a podiatrist.
How Can I Care for My Aging Feet?
- Wear supportive shoes. Flashy footwear may complete your look, but it’s best to wear supportive shoes that suit your arch type, have a heel no higher than 1”, and provide ample room for your toes.
- Have your feet professionally measured. Don’t assume your size when shopping! It’s normal for the size of your foot to change over time.
- Begin making annual appointments with your podiatrist. A foot doctor around Chicago can help identify problems before they advance and make personalized suggestions for your greater health.
- Consider custom orthotics. Many people can benefit from custom-made orthotics, which can help keep your foot and ankle in proper alignment.
Visit a Foot Doctor Around Chicago
No matter your age, we’re here to help you with any foot pain or discomfort you’re experiencing. We can make recommendations to help you care for your feet as they age and treat any emerging issues. Contact us today to schedule an exam.