A bunion is an enlargement of the joint at the base of the big toe that forms when the bone or tissue at the big toe joint moves out of place, creating an uncomfortable bump. If you are suffering from bunions near Hyde Park, make sure you contact your podiatrist today to figure out the correct treatment plan.
If you have disrupted the normal balance of forces exerted on your joints, it’s possible that a bunion can form, leading to instability in the joint. Bunions may run in the family due to the hereditary foot types that are passed down. Other causes of bunions may include:
- Foot injuries
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Congenital deformities
- Flat feet or low arches
- Tight shoes (more commonly for women)
Many occupations that place stress on your feet—ballet dancers, construction workers—can be a factor for bunions.
No one wants to deal with bunions as they cause massive discomfort and the inability to perform your job at peak performance. Here are some tips on how to prevent the progression of bunions:
- Avoid shoes with a narrow toe box, and tight-fitting shoes altogether
- Wear supportive shoes, especially if you have flat feet
- Consider investing in custom orthotics from your podiatrist
- See your podiatrist when you first begin to notice signs of a bunion because treatment early on can stop or slow the progression
Contact Us Today
If you are experiencing bunions near Hyde Park, contact Mitchell Foot & Ankle today and we will be sure to get a diagnosis and treatment plan set up for you as soon as possible.